Saturday 14 November 2020

Black Lives Matter

This is a blog post I wrote for the history department at the University of Northampton, please click the link below to see more blog entries from some amazing students!

https://historyatnorthampton.com/




I wanted to write about my thoughts and feelings on the Black Lives Matter protests as I feel it is a really important thing to recognize and acknowledge.

I completely agree with the protests and understand whole heartedly why they are happening. The accumulation of a global pandemic and black people continuously being treated unfairly has resulted in widespread public outrage. The unlawful killing of George Floyd was the event to tip things over the edge.


By studying riots and rebellion at university I discovered that public protests have been a legitimate way for the public to express their dismay. It is all well and good that individuals can petition parliament and write on social media, but it is only public disruption that really gets the government’s attention.


Once the economy is affected by looting and destruction, that is when people are suddenly outraged. I still don't understand why so many people are so intolerant and angry about the destruction of shops, but not by the murder of people. The police brutality has been video recorded for the world to see time and time again, so it isn't as though people are reading about these events or overhearing about them, but not seeing them.


I live in a village and the people in this community seemed lovely and really friendly, however, since the protests I have seen really ugly language used by people I live around. I am mixed race but very light skinned and often people don’t realise that I have black origins and so I hear a lot of the racial comments they make.


As for racism, I have experienced this from people who would not consider themselves racist. I was told at school to straighten my hair for interviews, so I look more professional.


My paternal grandmother was Italian and my paternal grandfather was from the West Indies, my maternal grandparents were both Scottish. I have had multiple partners say to me not to tell their friends or family that I am mixed race or to say I am Italian. I have had people look at me in shock when I tell them where my grandparents were from and say, ‘but you are so well spoken’. 


I have had people think I am adopted because my brother looks white and my mum is white, whereas I have olive skin. I was labelled ‘quarter cast’ throughout school because my dad was ‘half cast’.  I have had assumptions made about me time and time again.


As I have olive skin, I have been present when people have spoken in negative ways about black people not realising that is my heritage. I don’t consider myself part of a ‘black’ community and don’t think of myself as of colour until people make comments. I will always remember the story my dad told me of when my grandad came to Britain.


There were signs up in cafes and shops saying, ‘no blacks, no dogs, no Irish’. He went into a cafĂ© that said, ‘blacks welcome’, he was then told to leave because he was ‘too dark’. I think there is a wider problem in society not only that black people are treated unfairly but also that some black and other ethnic minorities are treated more unfairly than others. I have seen people have prejudice towards African people but then say, ‘oh I’m not racist because I have a friend who is black’.


I feel deeply anxious and overwhelmed at the state of Britain and the world at the minute. I think the government is encouraging racial disturbances by not acknowledging and supporting the protests that are occurring.


Yes, there is a pandemic at the moment but if you were to listen to the government then we are doing exceptionally well at managing this. The media applauded the crowds of people out on the street for VE day. They were mildly disappointed by the huge gatherings on the beaches and I feel that the reporting of the protests has been completely misleading.


I fail to understand how someone cannot get the concept that ‘Black Lives Matter’. Why retort with ‘All Lives Matter’, nobody has said that all lives do not matter. It is the same as saying everyone is equal, but some are more equal than others.


This issue does not just apply to black people but other minority groups. I have heard people saying there should be equal rights for men the moment you mention equality for women. As soon as equality for women is mentioned then people start labelling them ‘angry feminists’ as though it is a negative thing. The same thing applies for the LGBTQ+ community, if there is gay pride there should be straight pride.


I hate how divided our society is and I honestly think Brexit has just fuelled this expanding gap. Our current government seems to want to divide people rather than unite, but then they are surprised that they get an uprising.

No comments:

Post a Comment